Sunday, October 25, 2009 at 06:02PM
Salley Trefethen

Some Remodeling Requires Approval—The Landmarks and Urban Conservation Commision

If your home is in the historic overlay zone and you want to make changes to the exterior, you need to know about the Landmarks and Urban Conservation Commission. The Landmarks Commission is the city board responsible for approving changes to historic structures.

Albuquerque's overlay zones were created by the City Council to protect areas of historical, architectural or cultural significance.  To ensure that building projects in historic zones are compatible with traditional neighborhood character, in most instances property owners must receive Certificate of Appropriateness from the City before they begin work. These approvals are granted by the Landmarks and Urban Conservation Commission or by City staff for the Commission. Penalties including additional fees, public hearings, fines, and court action may be imposed for failure to obtain a Certificate of Appropriateness.

A Certificate of Appropriateness is required for:

To find out all the details of the process for gaining approval, follow this link to the LUCC or you can call the City Planner's office at 924-3891.


Article originally appeared on HHHDA Neighborhood News and Views (
See website for complete article licensing information.