The Neighborhood
News Archives
Homestories Archives

Some Remodeling Requires Approval—The Landmarks and Urban Conservation Commision

If your home is in the historic overlay zone and you want to make changes to the exterior, you need to know about the Landmarks and Urban Conservation Commission. The Landmarks Commission is the city board responsible for approving changes to historic structures.

Albuquerque's overlay zones were created by the City Council to protect areas of historical, architectural or cultural significance.  To ensure that building projects in historic zones are compatible with traditional neighborhood character, in most instances property owners must receive Certificate of Appropriateness from the City before they begin work. These approvals are granted by the Landmarks and Urban Conservation Commission or by City staff for the Commission. Penalties including additional fees, public hearings, fines, and court action may be imposed for failure to obtain a Certificate of Appropriateness.

A Certificate of Appropriateness is required for:

  • All exterior alterations, including porches, roofs, and windows 
  • An addition to your building 
  • New construction
  • Demolition of a building or part of a building
  • Erection of a fence
  • Placement of any manufactured or pre-built structure
  • Change in exterior materials

To find out all the details of the process for gaining approval, follow this link to the LUCC or you can call the City Planner's office at 924-3891.


Reader Comments

There are no comments for this journal entry. To create a new comment, use the form below.

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
All HTML will be escaped. Hyperlinks will be created for URLs automatically.