Search
The Neighborhood
News Archives
Homestories Archives
Monday
Oct092017

Meeting Minutes, October 4, 2017

Preservation Station  Presiding: Bonnie Anderson   Start Time: 6:30 pm

Board Member Attendance:

Term ending August 2018

 

Term ending August 2017

 

Anderson, Bonnie

x

Leverick, Pam

x

Boyd, Joe

x

Carson, Ann

x

Sturge, Ben

 

Grassel, Kathy

x

Moisés Gonzalez/Karla Thornton

 

Oakley, Patricia

x

Grant, Steve

 

Fink, Zoey

 

Spittler, Lee

x

Vogle, Susan

x

 

 

Trefethen, Salley

 

 

Minutes—Minutes of the September meeting were read and approved.

Officer Report—Officer Sanders was present. There has been a 4% increase in crime. Some of that increase was because people with outstanding warrants were picked up by the police. Stolen vehicles, one was recovered. Two robberies at banks. One aggravated assault.

Bonnie wondered if we could get regular follow ups on concerns because often the same concerns are expressed month after month. Officer Sanders said that Bailey would be making follow ups.

Concern was expressed about the Central Tunnel. The lighting problem has been addressed but there is still a lot of drug use in the tunnel.  Businesses are arranging for the tunnel to be cleaned more often and appreciation was expressed for that. Officer Sanders said that there have been requests for daytime lighting. He said that officers will go through tunnel “when they can”. There are plans to have more bicycle officers in the area. But the police department is understaffed. While there are dedicated officers in downtown, the department cannot have dedicated officers in the tunnel.

Dickens update—Ann is still working on getting houses for Dickens.

Museum Exhibit—Ann is curating an exhibit for the Albuquerque Museum.  The theme is “Mansions, Motoring, and Millennials, and will cover Central from the early 1900’s to the present. On November 18, Ann will give a talk at 1pm at the Museum.

Bonnie expressed appreciation for Ann’s contribution to promoting the neighborhood and its history.

206-208 Broadway (coffee shop/microbrewery/art gallery)—There are plans for a combined coffee shop and microbrewery that will serve the neighborhood and surrounding area. This will be an extension of the 208 gallery. 

Film—Someone has been in contact with Ann regarding filming in the neighborhood. Anne will be the contact person and will get in touch with residents if the filmmaker wishes to film their historic house.

Grant Idea Follow up

Follow up on “grant” ideas (another neighborhood party, fixing up the station, neighborhood signs, issuing an official request form)

There was discussion about some of the other ideas that came up at our last meeting regarding projects in our neighborhood.

Neighborhood Sign: Greg contacted Bonnie offering to work on designing a sign for the neighborhood. Susan has already worked on some designs. She will be in contact with Greg.

Another party: Robert will find out how the Netherfield Park neighborhood does its summer weekday parties in the park (with food trucks).

Fixing up the Station: Kathy suggested fixing up the station and having an open house. There was additional discussion regarding what would be involved in fixing up the station.  It was suggested that a site manager should plan the repairs and work with local contractors to get the work done. Ann is already working on several grants with the county and the Horn foundation. It was decided to wait before proceeding any further to see whether we get any of the grants.

Grant Applications: There was discussion as to whether people applying for grants should fill out a form or give a live pitch. It was decided that people should submit a written proposal and also give a live pitch.

Additional Joe talked about becoming more professional with regard to the neighborhood association funds - for example hiring someone to write grants (a grant for the signs), fund raising, and an improved social media presence.

Tax exempt status. Robert’s real estate attorney said that the neighborhood association needs to be incorporated in order to get 501c3 status. Pam said there is a 501c3 EZ form and an accountant can help with getting tax exempt status, but would likely require that we use them for filing taxes every year. Pam will bring more information next month.

New Residents—We welcomed new residents: David and Dennis both living on Edith.

Other Issues

Storehouse got a grant and fixed up the building.

The church is for sale. Joe will find out more.

Meeting adjourned at 7:35 pm

Next meeting will take place 6:30pm November 1.